Stack Overflow – Edit Summary Quicklinks

I requested a feature to make the few edit summary suggestions clickable. I, like many developers, don’t normally let my keys leave the keyboard. However, this was one case where I felt making those suggestions of “corrected spelling” and “fixed grammar” should automatically be inserted.

Showing the Usage

Well the suggestion was declined. I can’t blame the team. Nobody upvoted the suggestion. But I felt strongly enough about it, and knew that it was very simple to implement that I whipped up a GreaseMonkey script to do it myself. The script runs like a charm and even adds a few extra suggestions to the original three. It handles formatting and commas all automatically, so don’t worry about a thing, just click. Enjoy!

Script to Add Edit Summary Quicklinks

Script to Prevent Blank Edit Summaries

UPDATE: Fixed to use keng’s URL and added just plain old stackoverflow.com without the beta sub-domain in preparation for a launch. Thanks keng!

DOUBLE UPDATE: Sam put out a “wanted ad” for a Greasemonkey script to prevent blank edit summaries. I whipped that script up and linked to it up above. Thanks Sam! Quick Demo

12 Responses

keng on September 5, 2008 at 1:25 pm  #

I like this but when i go to edit one of my own posts the only clickable things are in the ‘tags’ section. note: i’m using this with a url of http://beta.stackoverflow.com/*/edit/*
rather than the one that ships (as i cannot edit other’s posts yet and i think that’s what your url indicates). Any way of adding my url?

Thanks.

Joseph Pecoraro on September 5, 2008 at 6:17 pm  #

@keng: Thanks for the fix keng. I don’t know how I got that original URL or why it was working before, but you’re absolutely correct. Re-click on the link above and override your previous script and let me know how things go.

@all: Let me know if you have improvements or if you see changes. I’ll try to keep this updated.

keng on September 6, 2008 at 8:21 am  #

Excellent!!
works great, THANKS!

Sam Hasler on October 29, 2008 at 6:18 pm  #

Any chance you could add a feature to (optionally) stop you submitting an edit without filling in the summary?

If you do, please let us know here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/248296/what-third-party-tools-exist-to-use-with-stackoverflow#248601

Joseph Pecoraro on October 30, 2008 at 12:45 am  #

Thanks for the idea Sam. I quickly implemented it and added a link in the article!

Sam Hasler on October 30, 2008 at 8:39 am  #

I don’t like how it’s implemented. If you forget you have it installed you end up having an edit summary of “Don’t leave me blank” which is worst than the “Added X characters” message.
I’d prefer if it just highlighted the edit summary field without putting anything in it. Maybe some kind of “glow” effect.

Sam Hasler on October 30, 2008 at 8:48 am  #

I’ve just commented out the line:

// editSummary.value = “Don’t Leave Me Blank!”

for now, but some way to draw your attention to the field other than your cursor going to it would be nice.

Joseph Pecoraro on October 30, 2008 at 9:59 am  #

Okay, that sounds good. I’ll try to get to that before or around the weekend. I actually took it on last night for some “fun” between classwork. I’ll let you know when its updated.

Joseph Pecoraro on October 30, 2008 at 11:58 pm  #

Sam, the script has been updated to a Red Flash/Glow. I hope you like that much better. Can we improve this further. Is there any way that you would like to submit a blank value?

Maybe add a second button to “submit empty”?

Sam Hasler on October 31, 2008 at 2:42 pm  #

That’s perfect. Thanks!

Sam Hasler on April 10, 2009 at 8:00 am  #

The edit page URL has changed, add:

to the included pages to fix.

Joseph Pecoraro on April 10, 2009 at 9:51 am  #

@Sam: I’ve updated all the Greasemonkey scripts to inlclude the new URL. Thanks for the heads up.